Friday, September 25, 2009

I a malaysian guy planning to migrate to NZ.Is it easy to apply for a credit card from any bank in NZ?

I dont have a job yet. I am sure i can land on a job soon there. I have limited funds to be in NZ to hunt for jobs.Can i get a credit card from any local bank. I am planning to get a apartment room so i would a fix address if they ask. Is there any other prerequisite tht i need to be aware of..


You probably need to get a bank account first and you can only get a bank account in NZ if you have residency, a work visa or a student visa.

Selamat petang and welcome to NZ. This country is very free of unnecessary bureaucratic complexity. You'll find it much easier to get a credit card here when you've got a job, a fixed address and a residence permit. I suggest you wait until you've got these before you apply. Otherwise, if you get turned down it makes it look bad next time you apply. In my experience the best financial institutions here are the Southland Credit Union, Kiwibank and SBS.

Well, from my past experience, you would probably have to be have an account (cheque or savings) for a period of 6 months with the bank, proving that you are legally employed as well as steady income inflow. They would need you to verify that you have been living in a permanent address-eg: income statements which will be sent to you monthly. Hope this help, I could be wrong on the latter part, been away for a while..so...good luck and welcome to good ol'NZ!!!

Hi Ram,

The above answer by Sebcue ^^^ Is a totally one eyed version of what New Zealand is like, filled with bad grammar, made up statistics and mass generalizations. New Zealand is a wonderful place to live, salaries are low but are offset by the life style. New Zealand is a reasonably safe country to live compared to other countries around the world which is what makes it so attractive to overseas immigrants.

The only problems I see New Zealanders having with immigrants in New Zealand, and please note that this is my OPINION and a an OBSERVATION on my behalf, is when immigrants come to New Zealand and live in a shell of their own culture without trying to adapt to the 'kiwi way' at all. I personally don't have a problem with immigrants living according to how their culture lives, but some Kiwis do.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I thought I better clear up some of the lies that sebcue has spread around.

With regards to the credit card situation, you will need to have a permanent place of residence ad at least six months of proven income before the finance companies will even look at you, sorry but that's how it works here.

I wish you good luck on your endeavours to move to NZ...

Hope this helps.

Cya!!

I hope not for the public's sake.

No comments: