Sunday, June 6, 2010

Recently bought 40 acres of land. My father-in-law would like to purchase 5 arces to build a future house.?

He would like me to sell him this land for a few hundred bucks but the land is worth $25k to $30k. Since I have a loan on the property would the bank allow me to do this? (Sell part of the property to a relative under market pricing?)


I doubt it unless you have enough equity in the property that the redution of what you sell still gives the bank enough collateral against your existing loan.

Think like a banker for a second......you could sell him a chunk of the land you really like for a few hundred....let the existing loan be foreclosed on and then get the property you sold for next to nothing back for the same price.

If I were the banker I would not let you do it. No reflection on you but I would have a bank board to answer to regarding my actions, decisions and reasoning.

NO //////////////////

You don't own the land outright and the bank is not going to go for you selling off any of it for any amount of money. You will also need a land surveyor.

No. You would have legally subdivide the land and refinance your loans into two separate loans. Then you could sell the 5-acre parcel.

Don't do it. Tell him that you wanted to do it, but that i refused to let you do it.

Doesn't make any sense at all. The bank won't really care but the mortgage papers you signed said that you wouldn't do this. I promise you that they say this.

No comments: