Saturday, July 10, 2010

How long should a land appraisal take?

I own 40 acres of raw land I am trying to develop through a loan with my bank. Everything is good to go except the appraisal.

My bank requested an appraisal on raw land I own on May 4th. In the next couple of days I faxed the appraisal company deed information, maps (erosion and satellite), similar property listings, paperwork from the county showing I could build (long and complicated story, but I’m basically grandfathered into the land so I can build on it). I drove 5 hours to meet them on May 8th to show them the land.

On May 11th, my bank and I received one email regarding the condition of the roads may have an effect on the appraisal (we had to take the back road because the neighboring ranch that belongs to my dad that the main road goes through was closed due to cattle being herded, so it was a really rough road that rarely gets used, but I explained this to them and the bank). There is also a second road that we did not take that comes from the opposite end of the property that leads to town, so I really don’t see how this is an issue.

Regardless, that was the last communication with them. The bank requested an update on May 18th, with no reply. I requested one today with no reply. We paid on the 8th of May for the appraisal in full as they required before they would see the land. The bank says they have never seen an appraisal take so long. They are the only appraisal service in the area. Any suggestions?


YOURs is the perfect example of when a bank uses "the only

game in town."

If you would like, I will find you an appraiser! And if you give

me the data on who you used, I will find out what they are

doing; it should take 1-2 days max to put out the appraisal.

I do appreciate emergencies and small problems that occur

to companies but that is not your concern; you paid for a service

and you have earned your appraisal.

No comments: