Sunday, July 11, 2010

My land lord is suing me for 2210 dollars. He wont take a payment plan and I dont have the money!?

should i just wait for the judgment and file a motion for a payment plan? Is 2210 worth him spending the money to try to garnish my wages or bank account. He dosent know where i work! Do i have to provide this info? Just need some advice on what to do next!


2210 really isn't that much. I'm assuming your land lord has a strong case against you since you sound worried. Best I would do is just explain your point of view to the Judge and hope for the lowest possible sentence.

Sure $2,210 is worth it - because he can add his costs in suing you, and in collecting, to the amount of the judgment.

Not all States allow wage garnishment for a civil debt, but most do. If he sues you and wins, you will then be required to submit to a "debtors examination", at which you will have to tell him where you work, what you own, where you have bank accounts, etc etc etc.

After you lose, the only "payment plan" that you are entitled to is your States cap on wage garnishment. This varies by State, but is typically around 25% - 30% of your wages.

Richard

Im sorry this is happening to you. If they file a judgement youre totally screwed-it will wreck your credit, which most insurance companies check, and employers check. You may be able to get him to agree to take LESS, like 500.00 or something, but you have to get the correct form and have him sign it. Good luck man. I had that **** happen to me-the judge was so crooked...it taught me the law does NOT work fairly. I had to put it on a credit card, but 3 years later I have a house and the card is paid off, and that landlord is just a LOSER.

Yes, it is worth it for him. When you get screwed enough, you eventually get sick of it and take action. And it won't cost him, it will cost you if he wins, as you will likely be responsible for court costs, as well.

Give him money right now. All you can afford...be it $25.00 or $100.00. It will show in good faith that you are trying to repay and not just making empty promises. Cash speaks louder than words.

go shoot him since he wants it the hard way

No comments: