Thursday, January 6, 2011

Has anyone else ever seen a pike jump onto bank with a fish in its mouth?

I was fishing for trout a small loch last week and a baby pike jumped out of the water, caught a baby trout in it mouth then sort of danced across the water while struggling with fish in mouth and then landed on the stones i was fishing off.

Only after landing on bank, did it drop the trout.

So i put the trout back and killed the pike

(its even part of your permit to kill all coarse fish as they shouldn't be here)

It was really like something you would see in a cartoon.

Would have been a pike anglers perfect day, I hadn't even set my rod up and i had 1 and a large fry, lol

Or has anyone even seen one take a mouse or something from a tree?


Cool!

No, I've never seen anything that unique. I guess the pike was trying to get a good bite on the trout and sort of forgot or miscalculated where the bank was?

I have seen tiger muskie (cross between pike and muskie) going after perch and young bass and it's an awesome sight. While fishing over a big weed bed I once saw perch skittering high in the water over the top of the weeds. A split second later the tiger muskie would launch after them like a torpedo. A few times the tiger muskie would get the perch while it was out of the water or nearly so.

I have seen brown trout go after mice. Well, I should say I've never seen a trout take a REAL mouse, but here in the western U.S. we use mouse patterns made from spun deer hair. We work them in cattails and grass in the shallows along stream banks, just before or after sundown in the summer. You can swim them or just let them float -- surprising that big fish seem to be waiting for them. When you're fishing with a mouse pattern, if you hook a fish, it will be at least 16 inches. I was skeptical when I first heard about it -- just a fairytail told by flyshop owners so you'll buy their $2.50 mouse flies, but it works. Legend around here has it that the originator of the mouse pattern got the idea when he hooked a big trout and saw a mouse crammed into the fish's gullet. With a little practice the flies are not that hard to tie yourself.

http://www.discountflies.com/mm5/images/full_size/deer_hair_mouse.jpg

I've seen bass take frogs from the surface in VERY shallow water (mud really) and my grandpa used to swear up and down that largemouth bass would pick off small birds from the reeds in Lake Havasu, Arizona. Never saw that happen, but I believe someone back in the 1980s made lures that looked like small birds.

ive seen a pike pull a young lamb in the water when i was fishing at a local canal i coudnt beleave my eyes

Nope and if I ever saw a Pike jump out of the water and land on the bank it would probably scare me so bad I would have to go home and change my shorts. In this crazy world of man and animal I am not surprised this would happen.

I have seen a pike leap out of the water with a 5 or 6 inch rainbow struggling in it's mouth. Also, there is a lake in our community with extremely shallow water near the shores like consistently 1 foot deep and a dropoff that takes the water to maybe 10 feet. Anyways, lots of shad in the foot deep water. i've seen bass grab shad, land on the sand and flop back in.

thats crazy. One time i was fishing on a bank and a BIG lizard (4-5" and FAT)was on a low branch and a bass was sitting directly below it waiting. a bird landed on the branch an the lizard fell. the bass caught it before it hit the water.. i was amazed. there are videos on youtube of a bass eating a live chimpmunk . it wasnt even a big bass

No comments: